5 Points to Consider Purchasing Your First Set of Golf Clubs
If you are just getting started in the game of golf, you are going to need a set of clubs to take with you to the course. Picking out clubs can be a little intimidating at first because there are an incredible number of options on the market to choose from. You don’t have to buy a set of clubs that is going to last you for the rest of your golfing life, but you should look for a set that can get you through at least the first couple years while you are learning the game.
Before you head out to shop for you first set of clubs, consider the following points –
- Don’t break the bank. As this will be your first set of clubs, don’t feel the need to spend a ton of money to get top-of-the-line equipment. You just want to find clubs that will allow you to play the game and learn the basics of the swing. There is plenty of time down the road for buying more expensive clubs if you choose to do so.
- Try them first. If you head to your local golf shop to buy your clubs, ask them if you can try out a couple models before making your pick. Most shops will have some kind of a ‘demo’ program to allow you to test out the clubs before committing to a purchase.
- Do a club-fitting. Ask at your local golf shop about their club-fitting services. For a modest fee, most shops will put you through a club-fitting process that can help make sure you end up with a set that is well-suited to you. Even if you haven’t played golf before, this process is still helpful to match the clubs up to your body type.
- Get good grips. If you decide to buy used clubs (which is not a bad option) make sure you purchase some new grips and have them installed on the set that you bought. Trying to play with old, slippery grips is not a good way to start your golf experience.
- Don’t forget the accessories. With your set of clubs picked out, there are still a few more items to acquire. Remember to get some golf balls, shoes, a golf glove, and a bag. Once you have assembled all of the various gear that you need, it will be time to make that exciting first trip to the course!